Sea Glass

on Monday, March 9, 2009

I wrote this when I was sixteen and just found it tonight. I thought it was really cool and I wanted to share. Let me know what you think.


We were sitting on the cold shore, combing the sand around us looking for sea glass. It was windy, and the cool mist coming off the waves feels cold and charming. We're bundled up in all our layers, and he gently touches my face and kisses my lips. His blue-green eyes stare deep into mine, and I feel him looking straight into my heart.

The rays of purple, gold, and turqiouse start to fade as the sun sets. We stand up, wiping the sand off our pants and start walking to the parking lot. I take a deep breath and smell the salt and seaweed in the air.On our walk home, he holds my hand, and we laugh and talk about nothing of real importance. We walk slowly to savor the time we have together. The trees seem to make a tunnel, surrounding us in our own little world.
When we get back to my house, we take the sea glass and put it in a jar. "It's almost halfway filled," he says, as I look at the tiny pieces filling the glass jar.
There must be at least a hundred pieces in there, all of them different shapes and different colors. I suppose if we counted them, there would be just as many as the days we have spent together, and the nights we have comforted each other. Each piece of glass is a different color. I decide that they represent the ordinary days filled with insight and love.
They are the most frequent ones, the everyday ones. I notice that I put a green one in the jar today. It is a day like today that we shared together that the green ones represent. The green ones frosted with white specks represent the days in which one of us was upset and confided in the other. Although there are only a few of those, there are some and they are quite big. I think those are the ones that help the relationship grow the most.

The white peices are the biggest and the shiniest. They reflect the time ones of us has accomplished something great, or we were happy about something. One might represent when he got into college, when he made Eagle Scout, or when I received section leader or recieved special recognition for singing/show choir. There are so many that I cannot remember what each one represents, but they are all special to me.

There are so few dark brown ones. Those have the sharpest edges and cut your fingertips when you touch them. They cause tears, hurt, and pain. They represent the ex's, the jealousy, the fights, and the crushes. They are the painful parts of our relationship that will never go away, but have become smoother over time.
There is one really pretty bluish-purple piece of glass. It is very small, and I know exactly what it represents. It is the first time he said those three words that before the night were just tossed around and used carelessly by other guys. It represents the time when he looked deep into my eyes, brushed my long blonde hair back, and told me that he loved me. I could tell from that point that it was real love, instead of a lust.All of the peices of sea glass are strong. No matter how hard you try, they won't break. They may get smoother, maybe smaller, but so do all the memories. They are strong and will always be there and will never be lost.Then in the bottom of the jar, there is a big rock in the shape of a heart.

Its shape represents exactly what it is. It's our hearts, with all the sea glass and memories and good times to come, piled up on top of it. Our small pink hearts, learning about each other and ourselves, piling little green days on top of big shiny ones, avoiding the sharp brown ones and trying to find another blue one. It's our hearts, the ones that have grown to love each other. The ones that have spent over two years piling memories on top, good and bad, to make two different and wonderful people.

The glass jar will never break. The sea glass will never break. It is too strong for human hands to break. The jar is our bodies that protect our hearts and memories. Like the sea glass, it is strong and even if one of us goes away, it will still be there with all the life changing memories left behind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BLEAH!!!!! haha, no, It's actualy realy sweet Sarah. It makes you think back to past relationships, how good they were, the people you spent them with, and how you would do it all again if you had the chance, or at least I would I hope you would too. But knowing the ones to come are gonna be that much better is the best feeling in the world.

Anonymous said...

I have read this before. Did you have it published somewhere?

Post a Comment